Please share your comments

Friday, August 21, 2026

 

Hidden Treasure

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.  -Matthew 13:44

I like to go treasure hunting. No, I don’t mean pirate’s treasure or treasure chests buried on some lonely desert island. I like to go to thrift shops. Some of the things I’ve found are some really nice items of clothing, old beanie babies that I can use to comfort a student in crisis and other assorted odds and ends. One of my favorite items to search for are old vinal records. Yes, vinal records. In this era of steaming music services, there is still a place in my world for hearing an actual record played on a record player. In a recent excursion to my favorite thrift store, I came across several records containing songs by Nat King Cole. I am listening to one of these records as I am writing this. If you don’t know who Nat King Cole is, we need to talk.

Matthew chapter 13 records many parables that Jesus shared including the one I shared with this article. In these parables, Jesus compares the kingdom of heaven to many different things. In the text, He compares it to finding a hidden treasure. The person finding this treasure sells all he has in order to possess it. For us, the kingdom of heaven has already been purchased by the blood of Jesus. He is our hidden treasure that we cannot keep hidden. His treasure contains the living water in which when we drink of it we will never thirst and we are heirs of the kingdom.

Got to go. Time to flip the record!

Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together! -Psalm 34:3

No comments:

Post a Comment